Henry’s Handcrafted Nursery

This nursery design for baby Henry is full of personal, handcrafted details and lots of history. We love the story behind this space! Julie Mikos | Photographer captured the lovely photos of the room, and also some incredibly precious newborn shots of Henry, which we’ve also shared below.

Henry’s mom Kelly shared some of the details about the nursery design with us:

“My husband and I are living in the house that he grew up in, and our baby’s nursery was my husband’s room growing up. He was brought home from the hospital to that room and so was our son! That felt really special to us, and seeing as we are both architects we are quite handy and wanted to do a lot of crafts and projects for our first child. The nursery became a labor of love for us both. Down to the wire, too, as our son came a few weeks early!”

Read on for more details about this charming space!

The Portrait
The portrait hanging near the changing table is a 90+ year old photograph of the baby’s great-grandfather Henry, after whom he is named. Kelly said, “He was a very special grandfather to me. My aunt gave us the photograph at our baby shower. At the time it was suffering from age and damage but my aunt generously had it restored by one of the best restorationists in the business, Gawain Weaver. Gawain did an amazing job restoring the photograph and even had a new piece of oval-shaped/ovaloid glass made for the original frame. It is precious and irreplaceable to us!”

Handmade Bird Mobile
“I made the mobile using a free pattern I found online for hand sewn birdies. The pattern shows the birds mounted on branches. A friend suggested using embroidery hoops instead as she was sewing birds from the same pattern for her baby and had some vintage hoops on hand — I decided to use her idea and grabbed a bunch of hoops at a local sewing store. They were only about $1-3 each depending on the size. Most of the fabrics for the birds came from swatches I had lying around — some were discontinued fabrics from high end upholstery companies (that they were going to throw away) and some were scraps from old decorating projects. Henry loves the birds — they spin for a very long time with a gentle nudge and he often falls asleep watching them slowly rotate.”

Changing Table:
“My husband’s big project — he constructed and painted the entire piece. Since the room already had a long built-in countertop with cabinets below, we didn’t want to add any furniture that wasn’t necessary and would just take up space. We decided to take some inspiration from a ‘changing table topper’ we found online (but was very expensive) and build our own. My husband bought a single sheet of maple plywood and some drawer glides and some paint, then went out back to the workshop with the drawings I’d done. It came out wonderfully and is very functional. When our son is older we will put it on the floor and he can use it as a reading bench (and the drawer will hold books instead of diapers!).”

Photography: Julie Mikos | Photographer
Cable car night light: Vintage, belonged to baby Henry’s great-grandfather Henry
Pair of owls: Hand crocheted by a friend
Bird Mobile: Made by Henry’s mom Kelly
Curtains: Anthropologie
Changing Table: Custom cover built by Henry’s dad Eddie
Glider: Jennifer Delonge Wing Glider
Framed animal portraits: Cut outs from the book Animal House by Catherine Ledner
Crib: Caravan Crib by Kalon Studios
Bedding: Made by Rebecca of Birds Have Flowers on Etsy with fabrics chosen by Henry’s mom, Kelly
Brass birdcage: Vintage, purchased for Kelly’s and Eddie’s wedding
Shallow bookshelves: IKEA spice racks
Alphabet wall art: Bookhou
POSTED IN: Newborns & Infants, Real Nurseries

Comments

Izabela says:

This little guy will have the best memories. The room is beautiful and inspiring, and of course Henry is just beautiful.

LOOOOve the birds over the crib! :) SO CUTE! :)

Lisamarie says:

Oh wow. I love everything about this nursey. It is so relaxing looking. Clean, crisp and uncluttered. I do also love the alphabet wall art. Any idea where that is from?

laura says:

Hi! i also love the alphabet wall art. any ideas on where I can get one?

Ann says:

I’d also like to know where to purchase alphabet wall art and the table top chandelier! :)

Tally says:

What a special place for Henry to grow up with his namesake watching and rooting for him every step of the way. Lucky Henry and lucky (and talented) Mom and Dad. The love that created it all is quite visible.

How gorgeous! I love all of the details…and so lovely to be raising their little one in his dad’s old room!!

Cheers
    ~ Jillian

Danielle says:

Henry is a lucky guy to have fantastic parents like this. A custom nursery with touches from all generations of the family is beautiful and rare.

Kelly says:

The birch plywood alphabet wall art is by Bookhou and can be found here!

So many great things in this nursery! Love the alphabet art and the hanging birds!

beautiful images!!! Thanks for sharing, the room is amazing

[...] découvrir sur On To Baby [...]

emily says:

i love the light!! (with the hanging crystals, in the picture with the shoes) can you tell us where you got it?? great nursery!!

Kelly says:

Thanks for the sweet comments. The light with the hanging crystals is from Pottery Barn, but I got it about 15 years ago so I don’t know how you’d find one now…

Megan says:

Hi! Love the mobile! Can you share the link for the free bird pattern you found?

Kelly says:

The link to the free bird pattern can be found on spool sewing’s website, in the right hand sidebar, here: http://www.spoolsewing.com/blog/2008/05/16/bird-mobile/

Megan says:

Thank you Kelly!

Haydee says:

This is such a sweet little nursery for your precious baby boy. Four months after my little boy is born, I’m still working on a few finishing touches, including a mobile with felt animals too! You’ve inspired me to stop procrastinating and finish it up already. Visit my blog for a few sneak peeks of my baby’s nursery and stay tuned for the finished room, coming any day soon! {Congratulations on your sweet bundle of joy}

Lucile haller says:

Hi,
    Wonderful work. So peaceful! About the white chest of drawers: is it in the wall? Which brand is it? Thanks. Lucile

Kellyk says:

Lucile, to answer your question about the chest of drawers: this is a vintage chest of drawers that was in the room when my husband was a boy– it is indeed recessed into the wall, my husband’s father built a niche out of adjacent attic space just for the dresser. The dresser was previously entirely redwood, and we painted just the drawer faces the same color as the walls, except in high gloss paint instead of flat.

Lisamarie says:

This is still one of my favortie nurseries ever.

Erica says:

Where’s te little orange guy from that’s between the two owls? He’s so cute.

Kelly says:

The orange guy is by Jellycat and is the “Cordy Roy” collection 15″ orange Aardvark.
    He can be found on amazon:

[...]  Embroidery Hoop Mobile ~ Accessorize your baby’s nursery with this adorable bird mobile.  Great for a boy or girl [...]

[...] of the cutest mobiles I’ve seen (and simple, [...]

[...] voyant sur Pinterest ce mobile j’ai su qu’il allait avoir un nouveau nid [...]